Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bienvenuta a Roma!!


Here I am. Day two in Ostia! After ten long hours on a plane, several cramps in my legs and butt, and a non-working cell-phone I made it to my destination!
I’m not overwhelmed...yet. The family I am staying with has already made several attempts to make me feel at home. My bedroom is comfortable and cute, with lilac walls,  a green and purple bed and matching furniture. I’ve had homemade Italian lunches with both gramma’s, and most importantly, Beatrice has really started to warm up to me! 
She is unbelievably sweet and cute. The language barrier makes it hard to understand what she is saying, but I know in time we will both understand each other. At least I hope!
Ostia is home to between 200 and 300,000 people, much much bigger than State College or DuBois for that matter. I can’t wait to have an afternoon or evening off so I can explore Ostia and venture into Rome!
Francesca (the mom), Vincenzo (the dad) and of course Beatrice, shared dinner with me last night. The menu included meatballs (polpetta), mozzarella and prosciutto, salad and tomatoes tossed in oil and salt and naturally, gelato for dessert. Francesca bought Amarena and Fragola for us to share. Amarena is my favorite, it’s like a black cherry, and Fragola is strawberry....Gelato may be the best thing in the entire world.
Delicious is beyond words! 
It’s going to take time for everyone to develop confidence in me, as well as comfort, but I’m looking forward to the journey. I’m anxious to see how it will fare for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment