Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Aperitivos: A Beautiful Italian Tradition


“In a world of disorder and disaster and fraud, sometimes only beauty can be trusted. The appreciation of pleasure can be an anchor to one’s humanity.
Learning to appreciate the simple things in life. Something I have learned while living in Rome - Understanding how to forget about disorder and disaster and take in the beauty surrounding me. For me, taking an aperitivo with my friends under the stars in Rome is one of my favorite Italian traditions and favorite ways to enjoy the beauty of such a wonderful place . I love spending an hour or two after work, laughing with my friends, forgetting our cares and concerns, all while sipping an Aperol Spritz.
I still remember my first Aperitivo in Calabria two summer’s ago; I was with my friends Jen and Natalie when we had no idea what an “Aperitivo” was. But when the waiter came out with plates of handmade Italian food and fruity drinks, I knew I would immediately enjoy ‘taking an aperitivo’.
Even today, whether I’m with my friends, or sitting at a cafe reading a book, there is a gentleness, a simplicity in sipping an Aperol Spritz and forgetting your problems, if only just for a moment. One thing is for certain, I will do my best when I come home, to continue this age-old Italian tradition and introduce my friends and family to what I consider to be one of the most enjoyable ways to enjoy “la bella vita”. All I need is to find a way to sneak Aperol in my luggage.....hmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment