Saturday, February 18, 2012

Snow


“Life is like walking through snow. Every step shows.”
— Jess Lair
Weather is often a “small talk” topic for conversation; you know, when that awkward first date gets a little TOO quiet. Or, how about when you’re traveling to visit friend. If it’s an unusually sunny day, your friends will say to you “Hey, you brought the sun with you!”
When I moved back to the States two months ago, the joke between Francesca, Vincenzo and I was how cold I would be. Living in the Mediterranean for 9 months, I had adapted to the hot weather and the freezing weather I was about to encounter in DC was not the good. 
As I stare out my apartment window, with the sun shining and the thermometer pointing to a warm 57, and as I stare at the National news and see pictures of Rome covered in SNOW - yes, I said SNOW. I think: “Marissa, you brought the weather with you”.
It hasn’t snowed in Rome for 25 years. 25 YEARS.  
This year, they get hammered with snow and DC feels like Spring.
Tell me you don’t believe in coincidence. Because I sure do.
I miss Rome, I miss Italy. 
Seeing the Colosseum under snow would be magical. 
But I like where I am for now and can dream about my next
visit to the motherland.



No comments:

Post a Comment