Saturday, October 29, 2011

Carving Pumpkins in Italy!


“When witches go riding, and black cats are seen,
the moon laughs and whispers,‘tis near Halloween.”
~Author Unknown
Halloween is such an exciting time; filled with candy, Jack-O-Lanterns, costumes and good-ol’ Trick-or-Treating. For many of us, I think it’s safe to say Halloween is a beloved holiday. It differs from other Holidays, and based on my experience, you just need the basic ingredients for a fun day: Candy, Food, and Laughter.
My mom’s birthday is Halloween Day, so for me, Halloween isn’t just a day of celebrating, it’s an entire week of celebration! We decorate the house, find costumes and buy loads of candy! I bake cakes and cookies, find a delicious margherita recipe for my mom and her friends and try to figure out the perfect makeup for her costume.
I’ll miss Halloween back home this year, I’ll miss it with all my heart. But, I had the wonderful opportunity of introducing it to my dear little Italian girl Bea and her friend Livia. I can’t imagine a Halloween without carving pumpkins, making pumpkin bars and eating candy. Now I can say I introduced a completely brand-new cultural activity to these girls - one that I hope will stay with them forever. And by the look on their faces, I couldn’t have even prepared myself for the happiness I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment